Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bikes Not Bombs

April 11, 2013 - Brighton, MA


On Monday night, my dear friends and I went to witness an adventure 65 million years in the making: Jurassic Park 3D. It was an exceptional experience, but this isn't a movie blog. For that matter, it's not a bike blog either, but whatever. It's my blog so I do what I want.

All day long, my bike's brake cable felt like it was slipping from my front break. On my way to work and on my way home, I could feel the tension grow increasingly slack. Traveling to the movies, I asked my friend Josh to remind me to fix this issue before our trek home; needless to say, we forgot.

It was dark, around 9:30 at night. Brighton Ave was lit by street lamps, shop signs, traffic lights and the red glow of brake lights. Josh and I were approaching the Brighton Ave/Harvard Ave intersection at a hurried pace when the light turned red. I clutched my hand brake, but instead of the bike slowing to a stop, I felt a snap and the hand brake went slack. I proceeded to plow through the intersection at an incredibly high rate of speed, quite certain my last words would be the expletive I was screaming as I careened through the red light. It was just my luck that I didn't hit a pedestrian or get struck by a car that had jumped the light. Unable to stop, I coasted some two blocks before coming to a halt. My brake cable had snapped, but I was luckily unscathed.

It then struck me that all across the city of Boston -- all across the country for that matter -- countless individuals do this willingly everyday, at great risk to themselves and others. And I don't mean just cyclists. Pedestrians, cars and public transportation vehicles are all guilty of blowing through red lights, driving through pedestrian walk signs, and violating all other sorts of road rules; it's dangerous and can lead to injury or death. Anyone who's ever been hit by a car can attest to the fact that it is not a fun experience. And in the city of Boston, with our attitudes the way they are (read: aggressive), the contention of our roadway relationships tends to put everyone in a "fuck everyone who isn't me" disposition.

But hey, y'all! It doesn't need to be this way! If we all work together to be courteous, give each other space, and all try to lead "positive fucking lifestyles," we can make this city a better place to travel.

First thing's first. We all need to acknowledge one simple thing: none of our means of transit are going anywhere. Cars, buses and trains have been around for more than a century; bicycles predate all of those means of transit; and we've been walking on the ground since we stopped climbing in trees. So let's all just realize that no matter how aggressive we are with bikes, cars and pedestrians, they're not going anywhere.
(Full disclosure: I ride a bike, walk everywhere, and drive a car from time to time. Occasionally, I use public transit.)

Now let's break this down*:

Pedestrians

We are obviously the most vulnerable of any of these groups. We can't move fast, we have no protection from outside forces (odds are you don't wear a helmet or have a metal exoskeleton when you're out and about), and we're usually listening to music on headphones and texting while crossing the street. We're not impervious to outside forces, so it's time to start acting like it.

Remember when we were all kids, older folks and Sesame Street would tell us to look both ways before crossing the street? The smartphone didn't make this rule any less important. Look up, pay attention to your surroundings. We live in a city now, and we've got to keep our heads in the game.

Now, briefly, let's discuss pedestrian walk ways. If there is a walkway without a walk light, we have the right of way. Anyone who blows by you is an a-hole. If there is a walk light, wait for it. The red hand is not beckoning us, it's telling us to wait. And just because Suzy Sweatpants walks into the road, doesn't mean that we and the twenty people next to us should follow suit (I'm looking at you, BU). We may think that once the cars have passed it's safe to cross, but remember to watch for cyclists. We walk out in front of a bike, the biker may not be able to stop in time. They hit us, it's going to suck hard for us, but it will be much, much worse for them. The bike will stop when it hits you, but the cyclist will not; it's Newtonian. So please wait, for our safety and the convenience and safety of those who have the right of way.

Also, let's avoid walking/running in the road or bike lane. I know it's usually less congested than the sidewalks and we got places to be! But when we're in the road, cars and bikes have to get out of our way and swerve into other lanes of traffic. This can be dangerous, so let's all just get back on the sidewalk. (Different story if you're getting into the driver's side door.)

Automobiles

Yes, automobiles. The harbingers of death. Doom on four wheels. The asshole enhancer. In the city of Boston, "cars" is indeed a four letter word (well I guess "cars" has four letters everywhere, but you get what I mean). We Massholes are well known nationwide for our crazed driving habits. And, for some reason, we can be proud of this? Take a knee and let's talk, gang.

You don't need to be an asshole. We're New Englanders, we are in a rush. We see traffic on a Sunday afternoon and instantly think, "where are all these people going on a Sunday afternoon?" Well, where are we going? Somewhere! We're all going somewhere and we're all stuck in traffic together. So let's take it down a notch. We're not special in this inconvenience. There's no need to get so flabbergasted about it. Plus, it could be worse. We could live in LA.

As for our interactions with the two lesser groups -- pedestrians and bikes -- let's pump the brakes. We can shout and swear at every person who inconveniences us from the safety of our car, but the second our anger transfers to our driving, that can be harmful and even lethal to others. So first off, calm down. Secondly, it'd be super helpful if we could use our directionals better. If people know we're turning, then they won't run/ride out in front of us suddenly. And then we can keep our blood pressure down (side note: eat less red meat for this as well).

Now for pedestrian crosswalks. If there's a walkway, stop for the pedestrians. It will take a few seconds off of our day and it's the right/legal thing to do. If they have the walk light, don't make that right on red. I don't know if that's the law or something, but it makes us look like jerks.

And for bikes, there are a lot of rules we tend not to follow. Bikes can take up a full lane if there is more than one lane present. Cyclists can ride two abreast. If we're making a right or left turn and we hit a cyclist that's going straight, it's our fault, so please pay attention to that. Don't squeeze a cyclist off the road, that's a bad thing to do. Also, when we're getting out of our car and we're parked on the street, be sure to check for bikes, cause we're not allowed to "door" them (it is very, very painful for them and will mess up our whip). Also if we're unloading/loading groceries or small children, just do it on the sidewalk, away from other drivers and cyclists. All in all, we're much bigger, faster, heavier and harder than someone on a bike, so just be careful around them. (If you don't believe these are the rules with cars bikes, check out this site.)

Bicycles

When I tell people that I ride in the city, they often ask, "Isn't it terrifying? Aren't you scared?" No, I'm not scared. The feeling is less fearful and more pissed off. No one gives a damn about us when we're on a bike, even fellow bikers (ever been t-boned by another cyclist?). Here are a few rules we can follow and then maybe everyone won't hate us. 

First off, get off the gat-danged sidewalk. There are puppies and children on those sidewalks! We are not allowed to ride on them, so get off. In fact, if you see someone riding on the sidewalk, tell them to get onto the street. Street's too scary to ride on? Then walk. If we had all of the sidewalk bikers on the street, it would actually make it safer for the rest of us cyclists (safety in numbers).

Next, let's stop blowing through red lights at busy intersections. If it's late at night and there's a red light for no reason and there are no cars or pedestrians, sure, treat it like a stop sign. But please, please, let's STOP before we go. One, blowing through a busy intersection is the most super unsafe thing we can do on a bike. Not only are we putting ourselves at risk, we're also putting everyone around us in danger. Cars have to swerve to miss us. CRASH! Pedestrians think they have the right of way and are crossing. WOMP! A fellow cyclist might be going through and BANG! We just t-boned them! So let's stop that to keep everyone safe. Also, it gives law-abiding cyclists a bad name. Drivers see bikers and think that we're all like that. We aren't! If we all follow the rules together, we keep each other safer.

Now, we don't have to use hand signals, but it's helpful to everyone around us. Just try to remember from our driver's ed days: left arm, right angle up means right turn; left arm straight out means left turn; left arm, right angle down means stop. Easy!

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=756cc28609&view=att&th=13df95640dd67a5c&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_zAbe4lyHKTl7AnpPHt0YS&sadet=1365696618449&sads=NttpipLeiBf_ErbXfydb0dNL0rg&sadssc=1It's not victim blaming to tell our friends to wear a helmet -- we do it because we want them to be okay if something bad happens. We do it because we love them. There aren't helmet laws for people over the age of 16 in the Commonwealth, but it's still a good idea to wear one. And anyone who's been hit hard by a car knows how scary it is to smash your head on the pavement. It happened to me and I was lucky to be okay. And you better believe I went out and bought a helmet the very next day. They're not a cure all, but anything you can do to keep yourself safe out there should be adopted.

This isn't a law, but it's a pet peeve of mine. If we come to an intersection and there is a cyclist(s) already there, waiting for the green light, don't pull in front of them. If they're faster than you, then they're gonna have to go around you, into traffic, to get ahead of you. I call it "leap frogging" and it's never fun. Even if we're going to be faster than they, they still got there first, so wait your gat dang turn. Also, when passing another cyclist, pass them on the left, like when you're driving on the highway. Most bike lanes in Boston are on the right side of the road, so passing on the right happens in a narrow space and can expose you to getting doored, which, as stated above, stinks. 

Anyway, you should check out this great site and definitely pick up some of those accident cards. Let's ride together and ride safe, y'all!

*     *     *     *

Remember, we're all in this together. Cars, bikes, feet. These are merely means of transit, not divisive groups at war with one another. We all walk, we all drive, and we all bike (well, mostly). Be kind and respectful to those around you and we might just get through another day.


*I didn't include taxis or the MBTA, cause they don't give a damn about anybody.


Photos: My friends and me biking to a wedding. Me with my fancy new bike. See guys! I'm just like you!

2 comments:

  1. The other day I was crossing Comm Ave on Babcock Street in my car. The light turned yellow as I crossed into the intersection and went red while I was stopped on the T-tracks waiting for someone to turn onto Comm (heading toward Packard's corner). I couldn't stay on the tracks because a train was coming, so I proceeded forward onto the far side of Comm Ave to get out of the way of the train.

    Unfortunately, the cross-walk light popped on, prompting the pedestrians to begin crossing the intersection, which blocked my escape route from Comm Ave and access into Babcock street. Also unfortunately, the light on Commonwealth turned green at the exact moment that the cross signal indicated to pedestrians that is was safe to cross the intersection.

    So there I am, blocking the box like an asshole. I decided to follow what appeared to me to be the only logical and acceptable course of action. I idled forward slowly but assertively into the crosswalk to get out of the way of traffic. I assumed that the pedestrians wouldn't like it, but that they would recognize the precariousness of the situation and ultimately let me pass.

    However, there was a cyclist among the pedestrians, and she wasn't having it.

    "What are you going to do?" Yelled the lady on her bicycle. "Run us all over?"

    Now, in my head, I totally understood her rage and sympathized with her despite the fact that the scenario was truly unfortunate and largely blameless.

    I should have said something along the lines of "Sorry" or maybe just threw my hands up to signify that the incident had spiraled out of my control. But, instead of that, I opened my window and yelled:

    "Fuck your face you filthy cunt!"

    ReplyDelete